mobile nav

Subject

Sailors' Home

Building  From 1827  To 1974

Categories: Social Welfare

A group of philanthropists founded the Destitute Sailors' Asylum in 1827, based in a converted warehouse in Dock Street and providing shelter and food for shipwrecked and destitute seamen. In 1835 a Sailors' Home for the use of all sailors was opened in nearby Well Street (now Ensign Street). The plaque in the alleyway documents an extension opened in 1865. Victorian London provides a lot of detail of how the home operated.


Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
Sailors' Home

Information Commemorated at

49041

Sailors Home extension

This chief stone of the new building, in extension of the Sailors' Home was l...

Read More