Building From 1827 To 1974
A group of philanthropists founded the Destitute Sailors' Asylum in 1827, based in a converted warehouse in Dock Street and providing shelter and food for shipwrecked and destitute seamen. In 1835 a Sailors' Home for the use of all sailors was opened in nearby Well Street (now Ensign Street). The plaque in the alleyway documents an extension opened in 1865. Victorian London provides a lot of detail of how the home operated.