Founded by Edward Alleyn as a school and almshouses. A chapel, a schoolhouse and twelve almshouses were built on Dulwich Green (see picture), and, extended and re-modelled, these buildings remain and are known as 'Old College'. The almshouses are still used for their original purpose.
In 1870 the majority of the school, Dulwich College, moved to its current site on College Road, Dulwich Common, into a building designed by Charles Barry Jr, son of Sir Charles Barry. The lower school, known as Alleyn's School, remained in the old buildings until 1887 when it moved to its current site in East Dulwich. Old boys of Dulwich College are called 'Old Alleynians'.