Plaque: Punch & Judy
Near this spot Punch's Puppet Show was first performed in England and witnessed by Samuel Pepys 1662.
This notice was caused to be inscribed by The Society for Theatre Research and the British Puppet and Model Theatre Guild 1962.
Site: Punch & Judy (1 memorial)
WC2, Covent Garden, St Paul's Church
This church, designed by Inigo Jones for Francis, 4th Earl of Bedford, was the first completely new church in London since the Reformation and the first wholly classical church in England. In accordance with economy and Bedford's Low Church leanings he instructed Jones to produce a church "not much better than a barn" to which Jones replied that the Earl should have "the handsomest barn in England".