Plaque: Gaiety Theatre
Erection date: 2013
On this site stood the Gaiety Theatre, built in 1903 for impresario George Edwardes. The theatre opened with the performance of 'The Orchid' and until it was closed in 1939 remained the home of musical comedy and one of London's most famous playhouses.
Site: Gaiety Theatre (2 memorials)
WC2, Strand, Silken Hotel
The building to the east, Marconi House, has close connections to this site and we have recorded some of their joint history there.