mobile nav


William de Morgan

Person  Male  Born 16/11/1839  Died 15/1/1917

Categories: Craft / Design, Literature

Potter, tile designer and novelist. Born 69 Gower Street as William Frend de Morgan.

Lifelong friend of William Morris, he designed tiles, stained glass and furniture for Morris & Co. 1863 - 1872. Had a kiln in his studio at 40 Fitzroy Square but in 1872 he had to leave having burnt the roof off. He moved to 8 Great Cheyne Row (now Cheyne Row) where he built a pottery kiln in the garden. A London Inheritance says the site is that now occupied by the church Our Most Holy Redeemer and St. Thomas More.

In 1873, when he needed a bigger kiln he rented Orange House, almost next door, and it is was in the pottery there, for the next 30 years, that he produced the De Morgan work for which he is known.

He married Evelyn in 1887 and moved to 1 The Vale, King's Road, Chelsea. In 1888 he went into partnership with Halsey Ricardo. At this time his business was operating from Townmead Road, Fulham.

1907 he retired from potting and became a novelist. In 1910 he and his wife moved to their last home at 127 Church Street, Chelsea, and it was here he died, followed 5 days later by Evelyn.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials created by the subject on this page:
William de Morgan

Information Creations

Show all 23


PP - 3A - Griffin

Thomas Griffin, fitters labourer, April 12, 1899, in a boiler explosion at a ...

Read More


PP - 3B - Peart & Dean

The “fireman” on a steam train was the man who stoked the engine. You’ve seen...

Read More


PP - 3C - Rogers

The Stella was a passenger ferry in service with the London and South Western...

Read More


PP - 3D - Funnell

The Elephant and Castle pub was at the corner of Wick Road and Victoria Park ...

Read More


PP - 3E - Boxall

Elizabeth Boxall, aged 17, of Bethnal Green who died of injuries received in ...

Read More