Building From 1237 To 1776
Categories: Food & Drink
At London Sideways we learn that in 1237 the City of London, short of water, were granted a piece of land beside the Tyburn River so that they could lay conduits to carry water to the City. This lasted until the 18th century when the arrival of the New River meant that the City no longer needed the Tyburn waters. We don't understand why the City came all this way when the River Fleet, for example was closer.