Building From 1498 To 1746
Built on a tributary of the River Fleet to bring clean water to London. Its precise location is not clear, but one source places it at what is now the junction of Snow Hill, Cock Lane and Smithfield (nowhere near the plaque). Samuel Pepys' diary mentions 'Holborn Conduit Hill' but it is unclear exactly where this was. The remains of Lamb's Conduit Pump near Lamb's Conduit Street are probably linked.
To be honest,we've no idea where this was and can't justify the location of the plaque. The word "conduit" is sometimes used as if it refers to the outlet, the pump. Whereas surely it must (also) mean the pipe that conveyed the water. Locating the pipe would require a route on a map rather than a single pin which is what's needed for the pump.