Building From 16/10/1869
England's first residential college for women. Established in 1869 by Emily Davies and Barbara Bodichon. Originally located at Benslow House in Hitchin as it was felt to be less controversial not to site it in Cambridge. Eventually it was relocated to land near the village of Girton in Cambridgeshire and opened in October 1873. Male students were first admitted in 1978.