mobile nav


George Eliot

Picture source

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of

George Eliot

Person   Born 22/11/1819 Died 22/12/1880

Novelist.  Born Chilvers Coton, Warwickshire.  Pen name of Mary Ann (or Marian) Evans.  Spent her first 21 years on a farm, now (2015) the Griff House Beefeater Grill restaurant on the Coventry Road, Nuneaton.  She used a male pseudonym to ensure that her works were taken seriously. Works include: ‘Adam Bede’ , ‘The Mill on the Floss’, ‘Silas Marner’, Middlemarch'. Died Chelsea.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the memorials where the subject on this page is commemorated:
George Eliot

Information Commemorated at


George Eliot, SW18

She lived at this address with George Henry Lewes from 1859 until 1863, and c...

Read More


George Eliot, SW3

Eliot moved here in December 1880 with her new husband, John Cross, and died ...

Read More