mobile nav

Memorial

Wenlock Barn Estate Wenlock Barn Estate

Plaque: Wenlock Barn Estate

Erection date: 10/9/1949

Inscription

Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch
Linale House, the first block of flats to be erected on the Wenlock Barn Estate, was opened by His Worship the Mayor of Shoreditch (Alderman R. G. Linale JP) on the 10th September 1949.
Chairman of the Housing Committee - Coun. J. Samuels
Vice- Chairman - Coun. R. J. Tallantire, LCC 

C. T. Fulcher OBE MI.Mun.E - Architect
H. Richardson & Sons Ltd - Builders
Charles A. James B.Sc - Town Clerk 

The plaque is on the first floor balcony, in our photo partly hidden by tree foliage.

Site: Wenlock Barn Estate (1 memorial)

N1, Murray Grove, Linale House

A map of 1837 shows nothing in this area but for a row of detached "Wenlock Cottages" along what is now Shepherdess Walk, but it must have soon been developed since we've read that these blocks of flats replaced Victorian terraced housing.  The 1949 development included a school, community centre and library.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Wenlock Barn Estate

Information Subjects commemorated

51992

Wenlock Barn Estate

This BL plan of the parish of Wenlock Barn is from 1799.

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Wenlock Barn Estate

Information Created by

Show all 7

51750

Shoreditch Borough Council

The Metropolitan Borough of Shoreditch was created in 1900.  In 1965 it was m...

Read More

50534

C. T. Fulcher, OBE

Architect and Borough Surveyor for Shoreditch in 1949.

Read More

50534

Charles A. James

Shoreditch Town Clerk in 1949 - 61, at least.

Read More

50534

Alderman R. G. Linale

Mayor of Shoreditch in 1949.  By 1962, when he appears on another housing pla...

Read More