mobile nav

Memorial

Viscount & Viscountess Southwood St James's Church Garden

Fountain: Viscount & Viscountess Southwood

Inscription

{On the front:}
Viscount Southwood
{On the back, left:}
To the memory of Viscountess Southwood, whose ashes rest here. 1865 - 1951.
{On the back, right:}
To the memory of Viscount Southwood, whose ashes rest here. 1873 - 1946.

The labels behind the cherubs read: "Not drinking water" and "Our sculptures have been 'coded for keeps' with UV permanent marker". These unsubtle labels, the nearby industrial-sized garbage bins and the ugly caravan permanently parked behind all but ruin this attractive memorial. Southwood paid for the laying out of this garden which was designed by Richardson.

Site: St James's Church Garden (3 memorials)

SW1, Piccadilly

Looking at the cafe picture:
- The war damage plaque is on the wall that you can just see on the left.
- On the right you can see one of the four cherubs belonging to the Southwood fountain.

On a visit in about 1998 we found a small hand-made memorial in amongst the plants, to Taffy, a tramp who had made the garden his home and had recently died. When we went back some years later with our camera this, not surprisingly, had gone so we sadly cannot include it here. 2012 - Discovering London have a picture of Taffy's sign plus the one for Mackerel the Rectory Cat.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Viscount & Viscountess Southwood

Information Subjects commemorated

50534

Julius Salter Elias, Viscount Southwood

'Fairlight' in Wood Lane, Highgate, was built in 1908 for Julius Elias. who w...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Viscount & Viscountess Southwood

Information Created by

50534

Alfred Frank Hardiman

Sculptor.  Born 17 Orde Hall Street. The statue of Lord Haig is his best know...

Read More

52478

Sir Albert Richardson

Architect.  Born London.  Our picture shows him as 'professor' in 1956.  Apar...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Viscount & Viscountess Southwood

Information Also at this site

44622

St James's Church Garden opening

Mary of Nazareth by Sir Charles Wheeler P.R.A., presented in 1975. This gard...

Read More

44623

St James's war damage

This church, built by Sir Christopher Wren, consecrated on July 13th 1684, da...

Read More