mobile nav

Memorial

St Monica's church and priory St Monica's church and priory

Plaque: St Monica's church and priory

Inscription

{A modern information board:}
Designed by E. W. Pugin, the priory was completed in 1864, the church in 1866, for the Augustinian (Austin) friars. Unusual for a Pugin church, the pillars, reredos and altar are made of wood. The friars first came to London in 1253, remaining until 1538. An area near Old Broad Street, where the original priory and church stood, is still known as 'Austin Friars'. St Monica's became the first Augustinian Priory in England after the reformation.

{At the door to the church, on a small plaque:}
The frontage of this church was restored in 2007-8. Blessed by Bishop Bernard Longley, Auxiliary in Westminster, 7 December 2008.

The board is not visually very interesting so we photo'd the church window instead.

Site: St Monica's church and priory (1 memorial)

N1, Hoxton Square, 19, St Monica's Priory

This building seems to be the church so we are not sure where the priory is. We have read that it survived the Blitz. Satellite view shows the roof of the church stretching a long, long way back so perhaps the back section is the priory.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Monica's church and priory

Information Subjects commemorated

49577

Augustinian (Austin) friars

From Augustinians in Britain : The Augustinian friars in Britain ceased to ex...

Read More

52941

Edward Welby Pugin

Architect.  Born Ramsgate, son of Augustus Welby.  Designed Catholic churches...

Read More