Plaque: St Gabriel Fen churchyard
This churchyard was attached to the church of St Gabriel Fenchurch which was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666. The parish was united with that of St Margaret Pattens in 1670 and was included in that of St Edmund the King Lombard Street in 1954. The churchyard was paved and planted by some of the ownners and occupiers of the adjoining buildings in 1960.
The modern information board above adds nothing of historical interest.
Site: St Gabriel Fen churchyard (1 memorial)
EC3, Fen Court
From London Gardens Online: "A churchyard is recorded as existing in 1331 and was probably walled from the C16th. Before WWII the railed burial ground had tombs, a number of trees and a central walk. In 1960 it was laid out as a paved open space with raised beds, a few trees, seating and three C18th chest tombs remaining. It was later re-landscaped with new paving, seating and planting."
We were delighted to find, in front of this (to be honest, less than amazing) plaque - a maze. We can add this to the list of London's mazes at Londonist.