mobile nav

Memorial

St Bartholomew's Gatehouse St Bartholomew's Church Gatehouse

Plaque: St Bartholomew's Gatehouse

Erection date: 1932

Inscription

This gatehouse was restored in 1932 to the use of the church in memory of the two brothers, Sir Aston Webb RA and Ed. Alfred Webb FSA, also of Frederick L. Dove DL FSA who worked together on the restoration of the fabric of the church for over 40 years.

This delightful plaque has a crest at each end. The open gate rather spoils the picture.

Site: St Bartholomew's Church Gatehouse (2 memorials)

EC1, West Smithfield, St Bartholomew's

The restoration of this church was the first major work by Aston Webb. His brother, Edward, being churchwarden at the time was probably just coincidence, don't you think?

Photos of the 2015 "Ceremony Of The Widow’s Sixpence" plus early photos of the site at Spitalfields Life. And more at A London Inheritance.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
St Bartholomew's Gatehouse

Information Subjects commemorated

50534

Frederick L. Dove

DL FSA. We believe he was one of the Dove Bros..

Read More

46802

Sir Aston Webb

Also designed the eastern façade of Buckingham Palace, the entrance façade to...

Read More

50534

Edward Alfred Webb

FSA. Brother of Sir Aston Webb.

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
St Bartholomew's Gatehouse

Information Also at this site

45462

St Bartholomew's WW1 memorial

{On a metal frieze, probably brass, a quote from John 10:10.} "That they mig...

Read More