mobile nav

Memorial

Percy Shelley - SE1 - Southwark Percy Bysshe Shelley - SE1

Plaque: Percy Shelley - SE1 - Southwark

Inscription

Percy Bysshe Shelley lived at No. 26 Nelson Square which formerly stood on a site north of this building.
Historic Southwark

Site: Percy Bysshe Shelley - SE1 (2 memorials)

SE1, Nelson Square, 26, Applegarth House

British History Online gives: "Percy Bysshe Shelley {} took lodgings at No. 26 as a tenant of Thomas Lillo on 9th November, 1814. Shelley's fortunes were at a very low ebb at this time and his anxieties were increased by the ill-health of Mary Godwin and the difficult temperament of "Claire" (Mary Jane Clairmont), both of whom were living with him. In January, 1815, his grandfather died and Shelley was able to find relief from his financial worries by selling his reversionary interest in the Shelley estates to his father. He moved to Hans Place on 8th February, 1815."

Someone in Southwark clearly thinks historic plaques are just like any other sign: 'No cycling', ' No dogs', 'Percy Bysshe Shelley', all the same.

Nothing to do with Shelley: follow the road round to the right and you find a lovely little Monkey Puzzle tree with its own Twitter account: @SE1monkeypuzzle.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Percy Shelley - SE1 - Southwark

Information Subjects commemorated

46207

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Poet. Born at Field Place, near Horsham in Sussex. Had a habit of eloping wit...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Percy Shelley - SE1 - Southwark

Information Created by

47812

Southwark Council

The London Borough of Southwark was created as an amalgamation of the Metropo...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Percy Shelley - SE1 - Southwark

Information Also at this site

Tiny_placeholder

Percy Shelley - SE1 - blue

British History Online: "In 1932 the London County Council erected a memorial...

Read More