mobile nav

Memorial

Norton Folgate almshouses Norton Folgate almshouses

Plaque: Norton Folgate almshouses

Erection date: 1860

Inscription

These almshouses were erected in the year 1860 for poor inhabitants of the liberty of Norton Folgate in place of those built in 1728 lately taken down for the new street.
Trustees:
{A list of 10 names, not in alphabetical sequence. See Subjects commemorated.}

Site: Norton Folgate almshouses (2 memorials)

E1, Puma Court

The wall plaque is between the pair of first floor windows on the far end wall. Designed in 1860 by architect T. E. Knightley and built by Pritchard. For more information see: Spitalfields Life and Tower Hamlets and British History on-line.

The pavement plaque is close to the camera, outside number 8, just to the right of the centre line of the passageway.

Puma Court used to be called Red Lion Court, in 1890.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Norton Folgate almshouses

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 11

72825

Blossom Street Almshouses

Also known as Almshouses, Blossom Terrace, built by William Goswell. In the s...

Read More

50534

Thomas Brooks

Trustee of the Norton Folgate almshouses in 1860.

Read More

50534

William Candy

Trustee of the Norton Folgate almshouses in 1860.

Read More

50534

John Casey

Trustee of the Norton Folgate almshouses in 1860.

Read More

50534

Charles James Jones

Trustee of the Norton Folgate almshouses in 1860.

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Norton Folgate almshouses

Information Also at this site

75019

Bowler plaque - Hoop, Whip & Top, and Marbles

This plaque shows children’s toys: marbles; a hoop and stick; a wooden top wi...

Read More