mobile nav

Memorial

Monopoly Monopoly

Plaque: Monopoly

Erection date: 21/10/2003

Inscription

{In a circle around the edge of the plaque:}
This plaque commemorates the site of The Angel Corner House Tea Rooms.
{In the body of the plaque:}
In 1935 Victor Watson and his secretary Marjorie Phillips stopped for afternoon tea whilst choosing the sites for the original London Monopoly.
Monopoly
It was here he decided that 'Angel' was an appropriate name for one of the properties making it the only site on the board named after a building.

Victor and Marjorie came to London from Leeds specifically to select names for the board. Having been out on a name-gathering 'morning taxi ride' they stopped here and rather than look further chose 'The Angel' as the last name.

The plaque was unveiled by Victor Watson's grandson, also named Victor.

Site: Monopoly (1 memorial)

N1, Islington High Street, 1, Co-op Bank

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Monopoly

Information Subjects commemorated

50107

Monopoly

Evolved from a number of property games but had reached its final form by 193...

Read More

50534

Marjorie Phillips

Secretary to Victor Watson. Somtimes spelt 'Marjory' but the plaque has 'ie'.

Read More

50534

Victor Hugo Watson

Born near the Kennington Oval but his family returned to Yorkshire when he wa...

Read More

50108

Angel Corner House Tea Rooms

Wikipedia gives a history of this site from 1603. The current building dates...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Monopoly

Information Created by

50532

Parker Brothers

American owners of the Monopoly game.

Read More