mobile nav

Memorial

Military Hospital Military Hospital

Plaque: Military Hospital

Erection date: 7/11/2008

Inscription

Site of Endell Street Military Hospital, 1915 - 1919. Established in former workhouse buildings during the First World War under the command of Dr Flora Murray & Dr Louisa Garrett Anderson, this 573-bed hospital is the only British army hospital to have been staffed entirely by women. More than 24,000 soldiers were treated here.
{The graphic to the left incorporates the suffragettes' motto:}
Deeds not words
{and their colours of purple, white and green.}

Site: Military Hospital (1 memorial)

WC2, Endell Street, Dudley Court

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Military Hospital

Information Subjects commemorated

47294

Endell Street Military Hospital

Established in the disused St Giles workhouse buildings during WW1 under the ...

Read More

46166

World War 1

We'd always assumed that this war was known as the Great War until WW2 came a...

Read More

47296

Dr. Louisa Garrett Anderson

Born Aldeburgh, Suffolk. CBE MD. Daughter of Elizabeth Garrett Anderson and n...

Read More

47295

Dr. Flora Murray

Born near Dumfries, Scotland. The picture source explains that the bag was e...

Read More