mobile nav

Memorial

Merton Place Merton Place

Credit for this entry to:
Alan Patient of www.plaquesoflondon.co.uk

Plaque: Merton Place

Inscription

{Around the London Borough of Merton coat of arms:}
Merton Place.
Sixty metres (200 feet) to the south east was 'Merton Place', the only house ever owned (1801 - 1805) by Admiral Lord Nelson and from which he set out for the Battle of Trafalgar. Lady Hamilton also lived here 1801 - 1808.

Site: Merton Place (2 memorials)

SW19, Merton High Street, Doel Close

We've read at London Gardens Online that the house was actually where Nelson Grove Road now is.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Merton Place

Information Subjects commemorated

71523

Merton Place

Country house, built about 1750 for Henry Pratt. Lord Nelson arrived here in ...

Read More

47635

Battle of Trafalgar

A sea battle that took place off Cape Trafalgar on the south west coast of Sp...

Read More

71524

Lady Emma Hamilton

Mistress of Lord Nelson. Born Amy, Emma or Emy Lyon at Ness, Cheshire. Her ea...

Read More

46485

Horatio, Lord Nelson

Born in Burnham Thorpe, Norfolk. Naval commander who became a national hero a...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Merton Place

Information Created by

71521

London Borough of Merton

Formed under the London Government Act 1963, by the merger of the Municipal B...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Merton Place

Information Also at this site

71546

High Path Estate horse trough

There is another trough with the same inscription further west along the road.

Read More