Plaque: Lighthouse keepers
The Corporation of Trinity House London. In 1982 Trinity House commenced the Lighthouse Automation Programme which culminated, on Trafalgar Day 1998, in the conversion to automatic operation of North Foreland Light in Kent, the last manned lighthouse in the United Kingdom. Thus ended some 400 years of steadfast service to the Mariner by the Lighthouse Keepers of the Corporation and this plaque was erected by the Elder Brethren in recognition of the centuries of loyal and devoted service in peace and war by the Lighthouse Keepers and their colleagues in the Light Vessel Service.
The 'Elder Brethren' are the court of 31 people who run Trinity House, under the Master, currently the Princess Royal. They are drawn from the 300 'Younger Brethren'. (We love the terminology.)
Site: Trinity House (4 memorials)
EC3, Trinity Square
Trinity House, was designed by architect Samuel Wyatt and built in 1796. The following year the Great Tower Hill Act enabled the creation of Trinity Square Gardens.
The magnificent building to the left of this one is the Port of London Authority HQ. We don't cover it since we couldn't find a memorial on it but we can direct you to Ornamental Passions who have done it proud.