mobile nav

Memorial

Lankester clock Lankester clock

Memorial: Lankester clock

Inscription

East End Maternity Hospital

Site: Lankester clock (2 memorials)

E1, Commercial Road

The plaque is on the wall at pedestrian eye height, immediately below the clock.

Numbers 384-392 did not become part of the hospital until 1926 though the building there is clearly a late Victorian construction. You can see its west-most section in our photo. At St George-in-the-East Church we learn its origin: opened in 1898 by SPCK, the Society for Promoting Christian Knowledge, as its Training College for Lay Workers, providing accommodation for 40 students.  When qualified they assisted the clergy and were known as Lay Readers or Licensed Lay Ministers.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Lankester clock

Information Subjects commemorated

72316

East End Maternity Hospital

The splendid Lost Hospitals of London gives a full history.  In summary: Open...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Lankester clock

Information Also at this site

71938

Lankester plaque

The above clock has been given as a memorial to Owen Lankester Esq. MRCS (Cha...

Read More