mobile nav

Memorial

John Marshall John Marshall

Plaque: John Marshall

Erection date: 1967

Inscription

{The plaque:}
John Marshall, founder of Marshall's Charity, lived at his mansion house near this spot until his death in 1631, as did his father before him. Marshall's Charity had its offices here until 1967.

{Inscribed in Gothic lettering on a frieze across the front of the building, above the door:}
MDCFFOII John Marshall MDCCCLIII
{1627 John Marshall 1853}

This building was erected in 1853.

We had this entry in our puzzle corner for a while because of the Fs and O in the Roman numerals but Peter Kidd of manuscripts.org.uk confirms our interpretation that, in late-medieval script, these read as Xs and V so the date translates as 1627, the year John Marshall's will was written. 

Site: John Marshall (1 memorial)

SE1, Newcomen Street, 9, Mollison House

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
John Marshall

Information Subjects commemorated

50833

Marshall's Charity

Created in John Marshall's 1627 will to support the Anglican Church and still...

Read More

50534

John Marshall

Native of Stamford in Lincolnshire.  A white-baker who lived in a mansion hou...

Read More