mobile nav

Memorial

James Hulbert James Hulbert

Statue: James Hulbert

Erection date: /5/1978

Inscription

{Inscribed on the south face of the plinth:}
In memory of Mr. James Hulbert  late citizen and Fishmonger of London deceased, the worthy benefactor who recommended ye care of building the Almeshouses in this square to Urban Hall, Robt. Oxwick, Esqrs and Mr. Richard West, members of ye said company, this statue was erected in the year of our Lord 1724.

{East side, lower right:}
Rt. Daston Fecit

{North side:}
The Wardens of the Wor. Company of Fishmongers, London, pursuant to the Wish of Mr James Hulbert whom departed this life in {the} year of his Primewardenship 1719 erected and endowed the Twenty almeshouses in this Square for twenty poor men & women.
Robt. Oxwick Esq. - Primewarden
Mr. William Proctor, Mr. William Parrot, Mr. Samuel Palmer, Mr. Samuel Walters, Mr. John Towers - Wardens
Anno Dom 1724

{On adjacent wall, three plaques, regarding change of site of the statue:}
Regarding the original placement at St. Peter's Hospital, Newington within the area of the (20) houses built by his munificence was removed and re-erected on this spot. Inscribed by order of court 1853.
Benjamin Shaw Esq. - Primewarden

This statue of James Hulbert was removed from St. Peter's Hospital Wandsworth to Jesus Hospital Bray on the closing of the former hospital 1923.

This statue of James Hulbert was removed from the ground of the Jesus Hospital and placed in this garden in May 1978.

We took our photos from the Riverside Walk, through a locked gate. To the right of our photo (out of view) one can see into the large entrance porch to Fishmongers' Hall. Only the south side of the plinth is visible through the gate. The other inscriptions, including the three plaques, have been taken from PMSA, which also has a picture from the front. At least some of the inscriptions were probably re-carved during one of the moves since, apparently, the inscription on the east side really does read "Daston", although the sculptor is known to be "Easton".

Site: James Hulbert (1 memorial)

EC4, Riverside walk, Garden of Fishmongers' Hall

1724 the statue was erected in a courtyard/square in the extension to St Peter's Hospital, Southwark, which Hulbert had funded.  When the hospital was demolished in 1851 the statue was re-sited somewhere in Newington Butts (we don’t know where).  In 1923 it was taken to Jesus Hospital, Bray, another of the company’s almshouses.  Finally in 1978 it was moved to this garden beside Fishmongers' Hall.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
James Hulbert

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 6

58811

St Peter's Hospital, Southwark

The almshouses were on the area west of Newington Butts and south of St Georg...

Read More

50534

Urban Hall

Prime Warden of the Fishmonger Company in 1716, 1717.  Lived in  Broad Street.

Read More

50534

James Hulbert

Died while Primewarden of what QQ Fishmongers Company.

Read More

50534

Robert Oxwick

Member of the Fishmongers Company.  Elected Treasurer in 1699.  Primewarden i...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
James Hulbert

Information Created by

Show all 7

50534

Robert Easton

Sculptor active in 1724 but died by 1726.  Mason to the Fishmongers’ Company.

Read More

50534

Samuel Palmer

Co-Warden of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers in 1724.

Read More

50534

William Parrot

Co-Warden of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers in 1724.

Read More

50534

William Proctor

Co-Warden of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers in 1724.

Read More

50534

Benjamin Shaw

 Primewarden of the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers in1853.

Read More