Plaque: Islington Library foundation stone
Erection date: 16/6/1906
This stone was laid by Alderman Henry Mills JP Mayor of Islington on June 16th 1906.
W. F. Dewey - Town-clerk, J. Duff-Brown - Librarian, T. F. Bryen - Chairman of Committee, Henry T. Hare - Architect, C. P. Roberts - Builder.
Site: Islington Library - Spenser & Bacon (3 memorials)
N5, Holloway Road, Islington Central Library
Spenser to the left; Bacon to the right. The frieze announces proudly 'Islington Central Library'. Above the keystone of the porch the date is given: '19 AD 06', confirmed by the art nouveau influence of the three ladies' heads below the frieze, also by Schenk.
This is one of the Andrew Carnegie Libraries. Architect Henry T. Hare, who, according to Wikipedia, had a habit of etching or carving a hare in every building (just the ones he designed, not every one he entered, that would be silly) but sadly in their centenary publication for the library Islington say this is "not visible today".