Plaque: Hopton's Almshouses - left pier
Erection date: 11/5/1988
Founded in 1730 under the will of Charles Hopton. Re-opened after modernisation by the Right Reverend, the Bishop of Woolwich, 11 May 1988.
IanVisits's post about these almshouses in March 2011 pictured another plaque, which we did not see when we visited in January 2012. Another victim of the metal thieves? The text on that missing plaque reads: "Hopton's Charity. Charles Hopton was born c.1654 into a wealthy merchant family and admitted in infancy to the Guild of Fishmongers. At his death in 1731 his will provided for almshouses to be built in the parish of Christchurch, Blackfrars, for poor, single men. By 1749, 26 cottages had been completed on this land, and have been occupied continuously since July 1752. From 1988, 20 modernised cottages or flats have been available for men and their wives from the Southwark area. Donations from local benefactors ensured the survival of the original trust, created by our founder, Charles Hopton."
Site: Almshouses & Charles Kingsley (3 memorials)
SE1, Hopton Road
Doesn't this picture of the alms houses just make you weep? A London Inheritance has a photographic analysis of how this area has changed.
The two plaques are on the entrance piers at the pavement edge, behind our camera. The water trough is located on the pavement outside the locked gates through which our picture was taken.