mobile nav

Memorial

Hobhouse Court - restoration Hobhouse Court

Plaque: Hobhouse Court - restoration

Inscription

Hobhouse Court. This stone unveiled by Sir Charles Hobhouse Bt., TD, on 23 May 1979 commemorates the completion of the restoration by The Crown Estate Commissioners of Nos. 5 to 14 Suffolk Street and Nos. 5 to 19 Whitcombe Street. It also marks the site of the original entrance, at No.6 ½ Suffolk Street, to the first galleries built for the Society of British Artists.

{Around the edge of the circle:}
Architects: Casson Conder & Partners
Contractors: Ashby & Horner
Surveyors: Cluttons

Site: Hobhouse Court (2 memorials)

SW1, Suffolk Street, 6-8

A network of almost secret passageways and a courtyard link Suffolk Street to Whitcomb Street. The passageway containing the two plaques is reached through the right-hand arch in the photograph of Suffolk Street.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Hobhouse Court - restoration

Information Subjects commemorated

46541

The Crown Estate

Their plaques have an 'R' representing Regent Street which is a Crown Estate ...

Read More

46540

Society of British Artists

The following text was copied from the picture source website: The Royal Soc...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Hobhouse Court - restoration

Information Created by

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Hobhouse Court - restoration

Information Also at this site

44736

Hobhouse Court - naming

This court is named after Sir John Cam Hobhouse, Bt. PC, GCB, 1786 -1869, cre...

Read More