mobile nav

Memorial

Great Conduit in Cheapside - stone Great Conduit in Cheapside

Plaque: Great Conduit in Cheapside - stone

Inscription

{Below the City of London crest:}
The Great Conduit lies beneath this spot.
Built by the City of London in 1245 to provide public water supplied by pipe from Tyburn Springs.
Removed after the Great Fire in 1666 and found during the construction of One Poultry in 1994.

Site: Great Conduit in Cheapside (2 memorials)

EC2, Cheapside, Tescos

The stone plaque is laid into the pavement. Our colleague Alan Patient sent the photo of the blue plaque which was added after we took our photo.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Great Conduit in Cheapside - stone

Information Subjects commemorated

74502

Great Conduit

In 1236/7 the City of London was granted permission to tap the Tyburn Springs...

Read More

46777

Great Fire of London

Started on a Sunday morning. After 4 days the destruction included: - an area...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Great Conduit in Cheapside - stone

Information Created by

46488

Corporation of the City of London

In addressing the 'square mile' concept Londonist have provided a potted hist...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
Great Conduit in Cheapside - stone

Information Also at this site

73141

Great Conduit in Cheapside - blue

The Great Conduit stood in this street providing free water, 13th century to ...

Read More