mobile nav

Memorial

German Hospital - Duke of Cambridge German Hospital

Plaque: German Hospital - Duke of Cambridge

Erection date: 1864

Inscription

{Above the entrance:}
This hospital was opened, XV October MDCCCLXIV {1864} by HRH the Duke of Cambridge - President
D. Meinertzhagen - Treasurer
Rev. A Walbaum DD Hon Secret.
T. L. Donaldson and E. A. Gruning - Architects.

The Duke's name crops up quite often around here. Not surprising given his German background and the large German community.

Site: German Hospital (2 memorials)

E8, Ritson Road / Madinah Road

This U-shaped 1864 extension is the building to which the above-door inscription refers. The same architects also designed the West Lodge and probably the North Lodge.

There is also meant to be a Hackney plaque here but we did not see it.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
German Hospital - Duke of Cambridge

Information Subjects commemorated

Show all 6

48094

German Hospital

Opened with 12 beds in 1845. The local German community was very large at thi...

Read More

46405

Field Marshal, HRH Prince George, 2nd Duke of Cambridge

KG, KT, KP, GCB, GCMG, GCVO, KJStJ, ADC, Colonel of the Grenadier Guards, Col...

Read More

65231

Thomas Leverton Donaldson

Architect.  Born 8 Bloomsbury Square.  Co-founder of RIBA.  Died at home, 21 ...

Read More

50534

Edward A. Gruning

Architect.  Designed the German Gymnasium at King's Cross, 1864-5.  Son-in-la...

Read More

65221

D. Meinertzhagen

Daniel Meinertzhagen VI. Head of the Frederick Huth merchant bank, as his fat...

Read More

This section lists the other memorials at the same location as the memorial on this page:
German Hospital - Duke of Cambridge

Information Also at this site

48092

German Hospital

In commemoration of the German Hospital which served the healthcare of the co...

Read More