mobile nav

Memorial

Blewcoat School - charity boy Blewcoat School

Sculpture: Blewcoat School - charity boy

Inscription

{On a stone plaque below the statue:}
The Blewcoat School, built in the year 1709.

{On the other side of the building there is another stone plaque:}
This school founded 1688.

Site: Blewcoat School (1 memorial)

SW1, Caxton Street, Blewcoat School

See also Charity School.

2015 - an information board has been added: Erected in 1709, Blewcoat School is built of red and yellow brick with rubbed brick and stone dressings.  At each corner Doric pilasters rise from the ground, supporting entablatures.  Inside lies a single handsome pine-panelled room with a light, airy coved ceiling, with a basement beneath.  In 1974 this room was enriched with a large grey and gilt-work chandelier from Bruerne Abbey, Oxfordshire.  The building is listed grade 1.  Built to house charity school founded in 1688 by William Greene, a local brewer, on the open land of Tothill Fields then owned by Westminster Abbey.  The school educated and clothed twenty boys from the parishes of St Margaret and St John for free alongside fee-paying boys.  The School remained in used until 1954 when it was acquired by the National Trust.  In 2013 Ian Stuart was granted permission to refurbish the interior to house his clothing collections.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Blewcoat School - charity boy

Information Subjects commemorated

47328

Blewcoat School

The school was founded 1688. This building was constructed in 1709 and was us...

Read More

50921

Charity scholars

Christ's Hospital was known as the Bluecoat School but there are no little bl...

Read More