mobile nav


Blackfriars Bridge - underpass Blackfriars Bridge - underpass

Memorial: Blackfriars Bridge - underpass

Erection date: 11/10/1995


{Each print is labelled. The one we have chosen for illustration is:}
Her Majesty Queen Victoria opening Blackfriars New Bridge.
Illustrated London News, 13th November 1869.

{The tiles also carry this text:}
The Blackfriars Bridge pedestrian underpass was officially opened on the 11th October 1995 by: the Right Honourable the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Christopher Walford and the Worshipful the Mayor of Southwark, Councillor Aubyn Graham.

Site: Blackfriars Bridge - underpass (1 memorial)

SE1, Blackfriars Bridge underpass

This south-bank pedestrian tunnel is decorated with prints from the Guildhall Library. At the western end of the tunnel some spoof text has been added: 

“Unimpressed with the selection of flat-pack bridges offered, a design from the argos catalogue was chosen via public vote in the spring of 1757.  Upon the bridge’s arrival the instruction booklet was lost immediately by head surveyor Robert Mylne.”

We can’t find out when this was installed but it was still there in 2014. Hats off to Hannah Wilson, the art student responsible.

Go to map of other memorials in this area

This section lists the subjects commemorated on the memorial on this page:
Blackfriars Bridge - underpass

Information Subjects commemorated


Blackfriars Bridge

The first bridge on this site (shown in the picture) was designed by Robert M...

Read More


Queen Victoria

Reigned: 1837-1901, 64 years. Born Kensington Palace. Daughter of Edward, Duk...

Read More

This section lists the subjects who helped to create/erect the memorial on this page:
Blackfriars Bridge - underpass

Information Created by


Aubyn Graham

Mayor of Southwark in 1994.

Read More


Sir Christopher Walford

Lord Mayor of London in 1995, from the Worshipful Company of Makers of Playin...

Read More